photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, June 1, 2009

Putting on the Glitz

The May issue of Paper City featured the home of Chesie and Tommy Breen in Houston's tony River Oaks neighborhood. Chesie called upon New York interior designer and friend, Rob Southern to carry out her vision for the house. Her idea was to "pretend this is a townhouse in London. Make it urban. We live in a city. A big city, an important city... There's a lot of art and culture here, so let it reflect that." Well, it certainly does. While the home reflects the urban sensibility of cities like London and New York, it still feels distinctly Houstonian without resorting to the ever-popular Swedish/French look that dominates in this city.


Chesie's office features an 18th-century desk, a pair of club chairs upholstered in peacock blue velvet and curtains in an Ikat fabric by Andrew Martin for Lee Jofa.

The peacock blue and Ikat fabric are carried into the library.

The living room is dressed in shades of grey and plum features ample seating and a variety of textures including silk linen, leather, silk velvet, and taffeta.

The dining room walls are upholstered in a moss green velvet-stitch fabric by Lee Jofa. The master bedroom features linens by Leontine and lamps from Circa Lighting.

The family room is far more casual and includes a Parsons-style desk from West Elm, chairs from Crate and Barrel, and chocolate and white fabric by Lee Jofa.

How do you feel about having your furniture and walls upholstered in the same fabric? I usually dislike this look as it reminds me of stodgy, chintzed-out inns in England, but I think it works here. My guess is they will get tired of it sooner rather than later, but for now, I think it makes a bold statement.
Update: Thanks to Joni of Cote de Texas! Evidently, the house is for sale and she was kind enough to let me know. To see the pictures from the real estate listing, click here.


Images scanned from Paper City. I really wish they would keep their images online!

12 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Oh, River Oaks. Such gorgeous homes there. The one featured is breathtaking!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have been enjoying your blog for a while now and I really love it. My husband and I are nearing the completion of the farmhouse we've been building and I need some help! I have read from some of your posts that your husband works at Circa. I LOVE circa. I'm trying to finish selecting the lights and I just need someone to tell me what to do. I need a fixture for my great room or my entry. My ceiling height is 9ft and the overall dimension is 22'3 by 14'7. You can take a look at the house by visiting my blog. I've already purchased the reed hanging fixture which I originally planned on using in the great room but then decided it might look even better in the entry. I really can't go over $450. Please help!!

. said...

Wow, such lovely rooms! I would love to have any of those in my home.

liliesandgrapes.blogspot.com

Verdigris Vie said...

Hi Paloma
What a beautifully appointed interior. I think that my new favorite colour is peacock blue, especially when paired with that soft gray.. so lovely, elegant and relaxed.. my theme today.

PS. I wish they all would post their images online.

Vitania

Unknown said...

just beautiful!

we just wanted to let you know that we awarded you with a "One Lovely Blog Award". we're sure you get awards all of the time, but that didn't stop us from wanting to celebrate your site!

thank you for the continued inspiration!
xox
alison
www.froufroufashionista.blogspot.com

rachaelgking said...

I'm with you- it totally works there. Awesome!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Ikat never seems to go out of style, love it in that house. I am usually in agreement with you when the fabric is on the walls, curtains and upholstery unless it is a more subtle pattern. Being in NC I enjoyed seeing some new pictures that aren't all over the blogs. Thanks for scanning and posting.

Anonymous said...

Hey! You have an award waiting for you over on my blog! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Renée! You are so sweet! :)

cotedetexas said...

its for sale, check out the pictures on har.

Julie Richard - Shelter said...

Beautiful. I have nominated your blog for a Splash Award. See details on my blog when you have a moment.

Best,
Julie

Under a Green Roof said...

love the dark dramatic walls! beautiful!